Lumboischialgia is called the occurrence of pain, heat or cold in the lumbar region and legs.
With lumboischialgia, the pain spreads through the area of the buttock and the back of the limb to the knee area. Unpleasant symptoms occur due to the spread of the process to the sciatic nerve and spinal nerves.
Usually when lumbar ischemia, painful attacks occur abruptly, as a result of:
- lifting heavy objects
- long stay in uncomfortable or forced postures,
- awkward and sudden movements.
The main causes of lumbar ischitis are:
- hernia or intervertebral disc protrusion.
- deforming osteoarthrosis,
- age changes of the spine after thirty years,
- chronic stress
- excess weight,
- poor posture,
- heavy physical or athletic exertion
- spinal injuries
- hypothermia of the spine,
- infectious diseases
- arthritis, fibromyalgia.
Depending on the causal factors, the following forms of lumboischialgia are distinguished:
- musculoskeletal, which will be formed as a result of problems with various parts of the musculoskeletal system in the area of the spine and lower extremities.
- neuropathic, with the formation of pain due to compression or compression of the nerve trunks, which are responsible for the innervation of the lower limbs,
- angiopathic , in which pain occurs due to the defeat of the veins or arteries that feed the lower back and lower limbs, the formation of their ischemia and oxygen deficiency in the tissues.
- mixed – this form of lumboischialgia is caused by the pathology of several structures in the region of the lower extremities (nerves and blood vessels, nerves and the musculoskeletal system, etc.).
Causes of lumboischialgia is irritation of the nerve roots with various effects – inflammation, trauma, compression of the nerve with muscles or deformed bone structures.
This leads to nerve irritation and the appearance of pain impulses. In this case, the muscles can be strained, their tuberosity is formed, the skin nutrition can be disturbed and even nodules form in the thickness of the muscles.
In the process of lumbar ischialgia development , due to a nerve disorder, there are unpleasant sensations of fever or chills of the extremities, disturbed color of the limbs or severe pallor of the skin.
All these changes in tissues lead to even greater disturbances and the emergence of even more severe pain.
When lumboischialgia is characterized by the following manifestations of the lower back and lower extremities:
- the occurrence of back pain, which give in one or less in both legs,
- movements in the lumbar region are severely limited,
- low back pain is aggravated by changing the position of the body,
- the patient is forced to take a special position – bending forward and stooping,
- in the leg, pain passes through the buttock, the posterior surface of the thigh, the knee, and partly the gastrocnemius muscle,
- along the nerve there may be a feeling of itching, burning, heat, or vice versa, a sharp cooling,
- the skin of the sore foot is usually pale, may have a marble color, cold to the touch,
- attempts of movement and full stepping on the foot cause a sharp pain, which has the character of burning, increasing and aching.
- pains become stronger with cooling, cold, exacerbation of chronic pathology, overwork, after heavy physical exertion.
Lumboischialgia usually occurs in advanced osteochondrosis.
In acute lumbar ischialgia, these phenomena are pronounced strongly and sharply, in chronic course they can manifest themselves in periods – with activation and attenuation, in waves.
The basis of the diagnosis is a manifestation of typical complaints of back and leg pain, and a doctor’s examination and laboratory diagnosis are necessary. It is necessary to conduct an instrumental study:
- X-ray examination of the lumbar and pelvic region,
- CT or MRI of the lumbosacral spine.
Therapists, neurologists and orthopedists deal with the diagnosis and treatment of lumboischialgia . Complex methods of treatment and rehabilitation are applied.
In the acute period:
- bed rest with restriction of physical loads and body movements,
- reduction of fluid consumption to remove puffiness,
- relieving pain with the use of analgesics with anti-inflammatory effect ( ketorol , nurofen , diclofenac), applying them inside and in gels, creams, ointments.
- with pronounced pain syndromes novocainic blockade,
- for marked muscle spasms, antispasmodics and muscle relaxants are used.
As the acute manifestations subside, they apply:
- therapeutic exercises
- osteopathic practices
- wearing special orthopedic constructions – corsets, belt-correctors.
The prognosis in case of acute lumboischialgia is favorable, the process can be stopped shortly. In a chronic process, the prognosis is more complicated – it all depends on the cause and severity of the disease.
In order not to form complications and not to cause exacerbations of lumbar ischialgia , it is necessary:
- don’t be upright for long
- to relax your legs periodically lean on chairs or support,
- don’t wear high heels
- during sedentary work, it is more often to change the position and sit on a chair straight, placing a roller under the lower back,
- during long rides in the car do frequent stops, go out to warm up,
- Do not smoke,
- watch your weight
- at the first signs of pain contact a doctor.